What's new in Xequence 2?
Xequence 2 represents a major milestone in the development of our mobile MIDI Workstation.
To simplify the migration for our Xequence 1 users, there's a brief migration guide that should cover everything necessary.
The following is a list of enhancements and changes so that you will feel right at home in no time.
Freely Configurable Arranger Grid
- Parts (now called "clips") can now be moved and sized as desired.
- Looped clips can now also be any length or position and always loop seamlessly, allowing easy creation and manipulation of polyrhythms, "MIDI LFOs" etc. directly from the arranger.
- Clips can now also be cropped or extended from the left, vastly improving workflow and creative looping. Just as before, this also works with linked clips, so multiple linked clips can be cropped individually both at the start and end, while still remaining linked to the single copy of notes or controllers. No other iOS sequencer we are aware of offers anything similar.
- Brings together the best of pattern sequencers and linear composition alike.
MIDI Time Stretching
- Available in the arranger and all editors
- Anything from individual notes, selections of controllers, clips, song sections or the entire song can be timestretched freely or according to the grid.
- Amazing timestretching engine ensures that events stay on the beat as far as possible (you can still quantize after the fact if needed).
Workflow and Editing
- QUICK VELOCITY EDITING: A new velocity handle in the Pianoroll editor allows direct adjustment of individual or multiple notes' velocities without switching to the velocity editor, with interactive feedback as usual.
- CUSTOM SCALES: Can automatically be generated from the currently selected notes in the pianoroll editor with a single tap. This is similar to (but more flexible than) the "Fold" feature found in some DAWs.
- AUTOMATIC MANAGEMENT OF TRACKS and instruments: tracks for instruments are created automatically, sub-tracks (lanes) can be created and managed with a single tap, the order of tracks and instruments stays synchronized (this can be disabled if you prefer the "old" way by disengaging "Automatically manage tracks").
- AUTO GRID: The grid in each editor can be set to "Auto", which will automatically adapt the grid size according to horizontal zoom.
- IMPROVED CONTROLLER EDITING and recording: Overlapping controller data is automatically cleared while editing and when touching a control ribbon on the in-app keyboard.
- Intelligent FOLLOW SONG: New toggle in the "View" (formerly "Zoom") menu, saved separately for Pianoroll and Arranger.
- Notes in the Pianoroll editor can now also be extended or shrunk from the left.
- Controllers to own tracks feature to separate existing controller data from notes in clips.
- Lock Zooming to Major Axis toggle to zoom only horizontally or vertically depending on finger movement.
- Scroll to song position ("View" menu -> "Current").
- Overhauled song loop selection: Previous loop can be reused, loop points can be dragged in ruler.
- Overhauled and even better Split tool in the Arranger.
- Direct import of MIDI files into the arranger ("Insert" menu -> "MIDI file"), with extremely smart auto-cropping and formatting.
- Support for Channel pressure (Aftertouch)
- Optimized engine and user interface: Even faster operation and workflow than before.
- Overhauled and improved Instruments screen.
- Many small tweaks to enhance usability and improve productivity even further.
- Direct and lag-free switching between screens with a single tap.
- Many more configuration options on the "Settings" screen to further tweak the app's behavior to your liking.
- MIDI EDITING AND RECORDING RESOLUTION increased from 192 to 16384 PPQ, enabling sample-accurate editing of clips, notes, and controllers.
- VIRTUAL SOURCE (disabled by default, can be enabled in settings) for controlling apps / MIDI interfaces that don't have a virtual destination.
- BLUETOOTH MIDI DEVICES can now be connected directly from inside the app.
- All former In-App Purchases are now included: Drum Maps and Editing, PolyHymnia Generative Music, Up to 12 Controllers per instrument, Multitrack Recording.
- TAP TEMPO: Intelligent averaging tap tempo input which even monkeys can use to accurately set a tempo.
- Support for ABLETON LINK 3 (Start/Stop sync).
- Sample-accurate audio metronome timing.
- Even more robust MIDI file import, particularly for broken files.
- Lightning-fast and stable editing of clips even with tens of thousands of notes or controllers.
- Support for opening Xequence project files and MIDI files from other apps (Mail, Files, etc.) via "Share" / "Open In".
- Support for sending any file from the Xequence file selector to other apps via "Share" / "Open In".
- Added many new drum maps.
- Added support for .kar (Karaoke) MIDI files.
- Xequence 1.x.x projects are fully compatible and load without issues.
- Various smaller fixes for MIDI / interface problems that could occur in extreme edge cases. We continue our effort to keep Xequence essentially BUG-FREE and the most reliable MIDI composition solution on mobile devices.
- All new features have been designed to be easily accessible when needed, and stay out of the way when not -- true to the extreme editing efficiency and robustness that Xequence is famous for.